Skip to main content

Not this time!

 I'm not going to lie - the first few weeks after our first 'attempt' were stressful. You know that the chances of first time conception are rare, but just over a third of couples conceive within the first month. 1 in 3, that is more than good enough odds for me to have hope. We've had friends, and have known about people conceiving on their first try, why can't that be us too?

I don't like to think of myself as impatient, but those first few weeks dragged. You try and keep busy, but every third thought drifts off into parenthood of some kind; What if it worked? I wonder what the gender will be? You spend more time than you should calculating the birth date, which leads onto further thoughts of schooling - will they be young in their school year? Or old? What is better? Does it really matter? Should we have waited for the correct school-year birthday? No, that's just silly! 

...It's hard to rein your thoughts in. 

During that first month, it was clear it was high on Rachel and my thoughts, pregnancy and babies would frequently come up in conversation between us. I don't think Rachel's mind was wandering as much as mine, but we both had no idea what to expect, and we both were allowed to get excited at the prospect after all, and we did! There was of course the understanding that trying for a baby can be an ordeal, and it not working out is not the end of the world at first go. 

I think my main thoughts during that first month was a little bit of disbelief more than anything. There was so many times during the previous year or so where I never thought it was going to happen, followed by a glimmer of hope, then a slight backtrack, then more positivity, then the semi-frequent 'shall we wait longer' conversation. The waiting was well and truly over for trying - but so soon was the next wait! Who would have thought trying for a baby would require so much waiting?! Mind you, even with a successful pregnancy, you have a 9 month wait, so I guess waiting is normal and maybe I should have just been a bit more patient. 

After the weeks had passed, and Rachel was getting towards her period date, whether it was deliberate or not, both of our thoughts turned to less positive about this attempt - this was probably to protect ourselves should it not work out. Rachel was also experiencing her normal pre-period symptoms, no bleeding yet, but the signs were ominous. Still, you read that bleeding is completely normal - it's just the embryo latching itself into place - that could be it! Breast tenderness was the next thing to arrive - again, a perfectly normal pre-period symptom, but could also be pregnancy hormones. Then brown spotting, again - this could be either. Already slow-time felt like it just slowed down a little more. 

The night before Rachel's period was due, I woke up as I heard Rachel in the bathroom - for years Rachel has been getting up in the middle of the night to sort out her 'just-starting' period, and I've not woken up at all (Sorry Rachel, I do care, honest!) - But this time was different, the anxiety of it all was resulting in me sleeping lighter anyway, so it was no surprise that I woke up. It was dark, but there was enough light for me to see the expression on Rachel's face. It was dreaded Auntie-Flow, Rachel apologised (which wasn't at all necessary), and we cuddled both a little disappointed. We had joined the 66% of couples who failed in their first month.

Still, they say the fun is in the trying don't they!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Okay - I'm ready, I think! Yes.

 The first couple of years of marriage were an absolute blast.  Loads of fun, loads of adventures, meeting new people and discovering new about ourselves.  Now, I want to be clear - marriage is still awesome -  (I'm actually writing this blog post 7 years on from this time) - but I'm setting the scene - please bear with.) After 2 years, I felt pretty much ready to have children. I had progressed in my job and had a salary that I felt was enough to cover the expense of a child. Although, when discussing this particular concept with friends (some of whom had kids, some without), I would always get wry smile and a chuckled "You'll never have enough", "just wait until you start paying for nursery fees - you won't know what spare money looks like". Friends, eh? One minute they'll tell you how kids are the best things in the world and we should definitely do it, but don't have them until you win the lottery! Luckily, I felt strong enough in my con...

Okay, lets try and see what happens

 It was August 2018, and for the first time in what had felt like an eternity, a conversation about children between Rachel and I was different. Before, the conversations would mainly revolve around what would be given up, but a random conversation between Rachel and I was about more practical things, such as our home layout, and who we could possibly get to babysit should we start a family. Trying not to get too excited, I asked Rachel if she was feeling more positive about the prospect. I can't remember her exact wording, but the gist was that she had done some soul-searching, and determined that her current life wouldn't completely disappear should we start a family.  We had plenty of friends who had previously said they would be " honoured " to help out, our family weren't that far away either, and plenty of our friends had children by this point who could share help and advise (or simply an understanding shoulder to lean on after a sleepless night).  It could...